labradore

"We can't allow things that are inaccurate to stand." — The Word of Our Dan, February 19, 2008.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Train 'em early (VII): Felix Collins

Another by-election, another warm body in a seat.

Mr. Collins, before he became Minister Collins, showed promise in his maiden speech on March 28, 2006:

MR. F. COLLINS: Mr. Chair, I am pleased, and in fact delighted as well, to have been given the opportunity to join this great team, this Progressive Conservative Government under the tremendous and inspirational leadership of our Premier, Danny Williams.

...

Having said that, I must also say that throughout the district I did find tremendous support for Premier Williams and for this government, and an overwhelming endorsement of this government’s policies. There was no doubt in the mind of the voters, and they expressed it strongly and willingly. As one senior, elderly man said to me - and I don’t think this gentleman had ever voted PC in his life - he said: My son, listen here; Mr. Williams is the man for us now. And that reflected the sentiment in a lot of the parts of my district.

SOME HON. MEMBERS: Hear, hear!

MR. F. COLLINS: I don’t mind, Mr. Chairman, if there are those who might suggest that my credibility as a candidate played second fiddle to the Premier’s popularity. I am reluctant to believe it -

SOME HON. MEMBERS: Hear, hear!

MR. F. COLLINS: - but I don’t mind it at all, if there are those who say I rode in on his coattails, because I am prepared and I look forward with great enthusiasm to working with him and with his government as part of his team for the great District of Placentia & St. Mary’s.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home