labradore

"We can't allow things that are inaccurate to stand." — The Word of Our Dan, February 19, 2008.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Boo hoo

A few choice set-up quotes from the Big Sook:
Stepping out of the shadows of private life and into the public eye, Tory leadership contender Danny Williams has a simple resolution for the new year.

“Maybe just to develop a nice thick skin,” said Williams, a lawyer and businessman.

- Danny Williams, as quoted by Tracy Barron, The Telegram, December 30, 2000


“People were concerned that I had a thin skin and that I was going to explode as a result of that. But that hasn’t happened and it won’t happen. You do learn to deal with that. Unfortunately, you do learn to accept it as part of politics.”

- Danny Williams, in interview with Dene Moore of the Canadian Press, September 29, 2003


Q: Even some locals have compared you to former Newfoundland premier Joseph Smallwood and his “my way or the highway” approach to governance. What’s your response to people who think that of you?

A: “It’s like water rolling right off my back. I can tell you right now these comments roll right off my back. Before I got into politics I had a really thin skin and I was reactive and I realized pretty quickly that the only way you can survive on this, is to have a thicker skin. So, when people make comments like that, I don’t pay any attention to them. I can’t be governed by fear, I can’t be governed by name-calling, I can’t be governed by personal attacks.”

- Danny Williams, in interview with Craig Jackson of The Telegram, July 14, 2006


And, via CBC's On Point with David Cochrane:
Williams admits that his return to private life was partly triggered by growing sensitivity to criticism.

"It got to a point where, you know, I guess some of the PR side of it was just starting to annoy me," Williams, who was known for volatile reactions to numerous events, said in the On Point interview.

"I was getting a thin skin again* and I thought, 'Look, you know, it's — you've kinda done what you set out to do. It's time to move on."
Wow.

A little bit of guttersniping from the peanut gallery, and off He stormed in a huff.

Coupled with Herself's obvious inheritance of a very thin skin, and it's enough to make a body wonder: how quickly would this farce of a government fall apart if they were faced with a real and determined opposition?



* "Again"?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, December 30, 2011 , Blogger Crescent Lake said...

Mr. McLean, the comments from Mr. Williams and Ms Dunderdale are glaringly similar and reflect a psyche too fragile to handle the rough and tumble world of politics.
That Ms dunderdale cannot handle the criticism of a few bloggers speaks volumes abour her own psyche and is not at all reassuring for the province.

This farce of a government is only in power because of the sleepwalking electorate who don't want to see the ineptitude of this administration. The Liberals had a lot of credible candidates in the last election, despite the turmoil inside the party, as did the NDP, but people chose to go with the spendthrift Tories. The opposition could not be more inept than this group, could they? With no real vision and no real platform, it seems to me that all they know is how to squander our money from resource revenues.

I truly fear for the future of this province,especially the lack of vision for rural Newfoundland as well as real development of much-needed, and long-neglected, services for Labrador. All past governments have exploited the Big Land but only the PC's of the past eight years have had the dollars to truly make a real difference.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home