labradore

"We can't allow things that are inaccurate to stand." — The Word of Our Dan, February 19, 2008.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Might as well go for soda

From the epic House of Assembly Hansard of December 18, 2012, during the Great Muskrat Falls Filibuster:
MR. EDMUNDS: Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
I attended a press release, Mr. Speaker; I think it was in November.
MR. KENNEDY: Did you get Grade 6?
MR. JOYCE: I am going to have a coke. I am going to have a glass of coke.
MR. KENNEDY: You didn't get Grade 6, did you?
MR. SPEAKER: Order, please!
MR. EDMUNDS: It was actually held at the Sheraton Hotel downtown here in St. John's.
MR. KENNEDY: You are a fool.
MR. JOYCE: Have a glass of coke; come on.
MR. EDMUNDS: I heard the President of the Nunatsiavut Government, Mr. Speaker –
MR. JOYCE: Mr. Speaker, did you hear that?
MR. EDMUNDS: - along with the First Minister, talk about how the rights of Aboriginal people, specifically –
MR. JOYCE: Have a glass of coke; come on.
MR. KENNEDY: You are a fool.
MR. JOYCE: A point of order, Mr. Speaker.
Mr. Speaker, I ask that the member withdraw singing out: You are a fool. I am sure that the Speaker heard it himself. If not, I ask that you check Hansard and I ask that he withdraw the remarks. I am sure the Speaker heard it, because the Speaker asked the member to stay quiet on several occasions.
I ask the Speaker to make a ruling because this is not the place to be getting on with that childish behaviour,Mr. Speaker, and I ask that the member withdraw the remarks.
MR. SPEAKER: I ask the member to withdraw his remark, please.
MR. KENNEDY: In fact, what I said was: He doesn't have Grade 6, and he is a fool. I withdraw it.
MR. SPEAKER: Thank you.
The hon. the Member for Bay of Islands.
MR. JOYCE: Mr. Speaker, as you know, if someone withdraws remarks it has to be unequivocal.
Mr. Speaker, I ask that you uphold the rules and he unequivocally withdraws the remarks. He made them again,Mr. Speaker, in defiance of the Speaker of the House of Assembly.
MR. SPEAKER: I ask the hon. member to withdraw it, please.
MR. KENNEDY: I withdraw the remarks that he is a fool. I withdraw it. That is what I said, I withdraw it.
MR. SPEAKER: I ask the member to unequivocally withdraw the remark, please.
MR. KENNEDY: I withdraw the remarks. You are still a fool.
MR. JOYCE: Mr. Speaker, that is the third time. That is contempt of the House, contempt of the Speaker, and, as we know, on the third time the Speaker names the member.
Now,Mr. Speaker, I ask, as my privilege as a member, that you uphold the integrity of this House. On four occasions, and each time he did not do it. On the third time, Mr. Speaker, you have to name the member.
MR. SPEAKER: I ask the hon. member to withdraw the remark or I am going to have to name the member.
SOME HON. MEMBERS: Oh, oh!
MR. JOYCE: Say I'm sorry. Say it. Say it.
MR. KENNEDY: I withdraw the remark.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home